Calling all chefs, engineers, accountants and IT professionals. Australia wants you!
The new PMSOL changes announced on 22 June 2021, adds to the previous list – populated mostly with medical occupations – offering space for a suite of engineering and accounting occupations.
With the Construction Industry listed as a critical sector industry, the new PMSOL engineering occupations will support growth in this sector.
The 22 new occupations are (including ANZSCO codes):
- Accountant (General) (221111)
- Accountant (Taxation) (221113)
- Accountant (Management) (221112)
- External Auditor (221213)
- Internal Auditor (221214)
- Electrical Engineer (233311)
- Civil Engineer (233211)
- Structural Engineer (233214)
- Geotechnical Engineer (233212)
- Transport Engineer (233215)
- Mining Engineer (233611)
- Petroleum Engineer (233612)
- Surveyor (232212)
- Cartographer (232213)
- Other Spatial Scientist (232214)
- Medical Laboratory Scientist (234611)
- Orthotist / Prosthetist (251912)
- Multimedia Specialist (261211)
- Analyst Programmer (261311)
- Software and Applications Programmers (261399)
- ICT Security Specialist (262112)
- Chef (351311)
So what do the changes to the PMSOL mean in practice?
The Government has also indicated priority for processing onshore candidates. So, we would expect to see 482 and 186 visa applications in the pipeline with these occupations being picked out of the queue and processed immediately.
For those onshore GSM candidates with active EOIs in Accounting occupations, this may be the day that they have been waiting for for years.
Whilst the occupation has been ‘in demand’ and on the Medium and Long Term Skills Shortage List for years, selection via GSM has been slowly metered, meaning that selection has often been at 95 points and higher.
Once the new occupational quotas are announced in July, we will see whether accountants will be immediately invited to address the ‘priority’ that listing on the PMSOL affords them, or whether they will still languish in a monthly quota process.
The hospitality sector will also be pleased at the listing of the occupation of Chef on the PMSOL. With no new migrants for the past 12 months, listing on the PMSOL means that restaurants and cafes will be able to not only have onshore candidates fast tracked, but off-shore Chefs will also be eligible for processing for 482 temporary work visas as well as fast tracking for PR applications via GSM or Employer Nomination.
Clearly attempting to meet industry needs, these June 2021 changes to the PMSOL are welcomed however they must be updated every quarter to continue to address the needs of Australian business.
The full Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List can be seen below
The 41 occupations (ANZSCO code) are:
- Chief Executive or Managing Director (111111)
- Construction Project Manager (133111)
- Accountant (General) (221111)*
- Management Accountant (221112)*
- Taxation Accountant (221113)*
- External Auditor (221213)*
- Internal Auditor (221214)*
- Surveyor (232212)*
- Cartographer (232213)*
- Other Spatial Scientist (232214)*
- Civil Engineer (233211)*
- Geotechnical Engineer (233212)*
- Structural Engineer (233214)*
Transport Engineer (233215)*
- Electrical Engineer (233311)*
- Mechanical Engineer (233512)
- Mining Engineer (excluding Petroleum) (233611)*
- Petroleum Engineer (233612)*
- Medical Laboratory Scientist (234611)*
- Veterinarian (234711)
- Orthotist or Prosthetist (251912)*
- General Practitioner (253111)
- Resident Medical Officer (253112)
- Psychiatrist (253411)
- Medical Practitioners nec (253999)
- Midwife (254111)
- Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (254412)
- Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (254415)
- Registered Nurse (Medical) (254418)
- Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (254422)
- Registered Nurse (Perioperative) (254423)
Registered Nurses nec (254499)
- Multimedia Specialist (261211)*
- Analyst Programmer (261311)*
- Developer Programmer (261312)
- Software Engineer (261313)
- Software and Applications Programmers nec (261399)*
- ICT Security Specialist (262112)*
- Social Worker (272511)
- Maintenance Planner (312911)
- Chef (351311)*
* Indicates occupation added in June 2021
If you are ready to chat to us about taking advantage of these changes, please reach out now and book an appointment. We’d love to help you or your organisation.